All information products included in http://ics-cert.us-cert.gov are provided "as is" for informational purposes only. The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) does not provide any warranties of any kind regarding any information contained within. DHS does not endorse any commercial product or service, referenced in this product or otherwise. Further dissemination of this product is governed by the Traffic Light Protocol (TLP) marking in the header. For more information about TLP, see http://www.us-cert.gov/tlp/.
This advisory was originally posted to the US-CERT secure Portal library on August 25, 2015, and is being released to the NCCIC/ICS-CERT web site.
Independent researcher Maxim Rupp has identified a hard-coded credential vulnerability in the EasyIO-30P-SF controller. EasyIO has produced a patch to mitigate this vulnerability. Maxim Rupp has tested the patch to validate that it resolves the vulnerability.
This vulnerability could be exploited remotely.
The following EasyIO-30P-SF controllers are affected:
- All EasyIO-30P-SF controllers running firmware prior to build v0.5.21, and
- All EasyIO-30P-SF controllers running firmware prior to build v184.108.40.206
This controller is used in a number of Direct Digital Control (DDC) controller products associated with DDC systems from many users worldwide.
ICS-CERT has created a supplementa to this advisory that contains a list of nine OEM products that encompass the EasyIO-30P-SF controller. This supplement will be updated as new patch information is received without updating this advisory.
Exploitation of this vulnerability could allow an attacker complete access to the controller.
Impact to individual organizations depends on many factors that are unique to each organization. ICS-CERT recommends that organizations evaluate the impact of this vulnerability based on their operational environment, architecture, and product implementation.
EasyIO is a Malaysia-based company that markets its controller products worldwide.
The affected product, EasyIO-30P-SF, is a 32-bit controller that is used in a number of DDC systems worldwide. According to EasyIO, affected controller units are deployed across several sectors including Commercial Facilities, Critical Manufacturing, Energy, Water and Wastewater Systems, and others. EasyIO markets these products worldwide.
USE OF HARD-CODED PASSWORDb
The EasyIO-30P-SF controller has a hard-coded credential vulnerability. This could allow the attacker to have complete access to the controller.
This vulnerability could be exploited remotely.
EXISTENCE OF EXPLOIT
No known public exploits specifically target this vulnerability.
An attacker with a low skill would be able to exploit this vulnerability.
EasyIO has produced a patch to mitigate this vulnerability. Maxim Rupp has tested the patch to validate that it resolves the vulnerability.
EasyIO has deployed the new patch to all nine OEM vendors to allow them to update their respective products.
These vendors are: Accutrol LLC, Bar-Tech Automation Pty Ltd, Infocon/EasyIO, Honeywell Automation India, Johnson Controls Group, SyxthSENSE, Transformative Wave Technologies, LLC, Tridium Asia Pacific Ltd, and Tridium Europe.
Each vendor has its own method and location for the end users to obtain information on how to receive and install this patch. In some cases, the OEM vendors prefer to be part of the patch process to ensure correct configurations and to minimum unnecessary downtime.
These mitigation plans may be found in the ICS-CERT advisory supplement titled Supplement to ICSA-15-237-02 EASYIO-30P-SF Hard-Coded Credential Vulnerability.
ICS-CERT recommends that users take defensive measures to minimize the risk of exploitation of these vulnerabilities. Specifically, users should:
- Minimize network exposure for all control system devices and/or systems, and ensure that they are not accessible from the Internet.
- Locate control system networks and remote devices behind firewalls, and isolate them from the business network.
- When remote access is required, use secure methods, such as Virtual Private Networks (VPNs), recognizing that VPNs may have vulnerabilities and should be updated to the most current version available. Also recognize that VPN is only as secure as the connected devices.
ICS-CERT reminds organizations to perform proper impact analysis and risk assessment prior to deploying defensive measures.
ICS-CERT also provides a section for control systems security recommended practices on the ICS-CERT web page at http://ics-cert.us-cert.gov/content/recommended-practices. Several recommended practices are available for reading and download, including Improving Industrial Control Systems Cybersecurity with Defense-in-Depth Strategies.
Additional mitigation guidance and recommended practices are publicly available in the ICS‑CERT Technical Information Paper, ICS-TIP-12-146-01B—Targeted Cyber Intrusion Detection and Mitigation Strategies, that is available for download from the ICS-CERT web site (www.ics-cert.org).
Organizations observing any suspected malicious activity should follow their established internal procedures and report their findings to ICS-CERT for tracking and correlation against other incidents.
- a. Supplement to ICSA-15-237-02 EasyIO-30P-SF Hard-Coded Credential Vulnerability, https://ics-cert.us-cert.gov/advisories/ICSA-15-237-02-Supplement, web site last accessed September 24, 2015.
- b. CWE-259: Use of Hard-coded Password, http://cwe.mitre.org/data/definitions/259.html, web site last accessed August 25, 2015.
- c. NVD, http://web.nvd.nist.gov/view/vuln/detail?vulnId=CVE-2015-3974, NIST uses this advisory to create the CVE web site report. This web site will be active sometime after publication of this advisory.
- d. CVSS Calculator, http://nvd.nist.gov/cvss.cfm?version=2&vector=AV:N/AC:L/Au:S/C:C/I:C/A:C, web site last accessed August 25, 2015.
For any questions related to this report, please contact the NCCIC at:
Toll Free: 1-888-282-0870
The NCCIC continuously strives to improve its products and services. You can help by choosing one of the links below to provide feedback about this product.