All information products included in http://ics-cert.us-cert.gov are provided "as is" for informational purposes only. The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) does not provide any warranties of any kind regarding any information contained within. DHS does not endorse any commercial product or service, referenced in this product or otherwise. Further dissemination of this product is governed by the Traffic Light Protocol (TLP) marking in the header. For more information about TLP, see http://www.us-cert.gov/tlp/.
1. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
- CVSS v3 7.5
- ATTENTION: Exploitable remotely/low skill level to exploit.
- Vendor: Siemens
- Equipment: SIMATIC PCS 7, SIMATIC WinCC, SIMATIC WinCC Runtime Professional, and SIMATIC NET PC Software
- Vulnerability: Improper Input Validation
2. UPDATE INFORMATION
This updated advisory is a follow-up to the updated advisory titled ICSA-18-088-03 Siemens SIMATIC PCS 7, SIMATIC WinCC, SIMATIC WinCC Runtime Professional, and SIMATIC NET PC Software (Update F) that was published February 5, 2019, on the NCCIC/ICS-CERT website.
3. RISK EVALUATION
Successful exploitation of this vulnerability could allow an attacker to cause a denial-of-service condition on the remote and local communication functionality of the affected products. A system reboot is required to recover.
4. TECHNICAL DETAILS
4.1 AFFECTED PRODUCTS
Siemens reports that the vulnerability affects the following SIMATIC products:
- OpenPCS 7 v7.1 and earlier,
- OpenPCS 7 v8.0: All versions prior to 8.2 SP1,
- OpenPCS 7 v8.1: All versions prior to v8.1 Upd5,
- OpenPCS 7 v8.2: All versions,
- OpenPCS 7 v9.0: All versions prior to v9.0 Upd1,
- SIMATIC BATCH v7.1 and earlier,
- SIMATIC BATCH v8.0: All versions prior to v8.0 SP1 Upd21,
- SIMATIC BATCH v8.1: All versions prior to v8.1 SP1 Upd16,
- SIMATIC BATCH v8.2: All versions prior to v8.2 Upd10,
- SIMATIC BATCH v9.0: All versions prior to v9.0 SP1,
- SIMATIC NET PC-Software: All versions prior to v15 SP1,
- SIMATIC PCS 7 v7.1 and earlier,
- SIMATIC PCS 7 v8.0: All versions,
- SIMATIC PCS 7 v8.1: All versions,
- SIMATIC PCS 7 v9.0: All versions prior to v9.0 SP1,
- SIMATIC Route Control v7.1 and earlier,
- SIMATIC Route Control v8.0: All versions,
- SIMATIC Route Control v8.1: All versions,
- SIMATIC PCS 7 v8.2: All versions prior to v8.2 SP1,
- SIMATIC Route Control v8.2: All versions,
- SIMATIC Route Control v9.0: All versions prior to v9.0 Upd1,
- SIMATIC WinCC Runtime Professional v13: All versions prior to v13 SP2 Upd2
- SIMATIC WinCC Runtime Professional v14: All versions prior to v14 SP1 Upd5,
- SIMATIC WinCC 7.2 and earlier: All versions prior to WinCC 7.2 Upd 15,
- SIMATIC WinCC 7.3: All versions prior to WinCC 7.3 Upd16, and
- SIMATIC WinCC 7.4: All versions prior to v7.4 SP1 Upd 4.
4.2 VULNERABILITY OVERVIEW
Specially crafted messages sent to the RPC service of the affected products could cause a denial-of-service condition on the remote and local communication functionality of the affected products. A reboot of the system is required to recover the remote and local communication functionality.
- Critical Infrastructure Sectors: Chemical, Energy, Food and Agriculture, Water and Wastewater Systems.
- Countries/Areas Deployed: Worldwide
- Company Headquarters Location: Germany
Vladimir Dashchenko from Kaspersky Lab and independent researcher cdev1 reported this vulnerability to Siemens.
Siemens has released updates for several affected products and recommends users update to the new version. Siemens is preparing further updates and recommends specific countermeasures until patches are available:
- OpenPCS 7 v8.1: Update to OpenPCS 7 v8.1 Upd 5
- SIMATIC BATCH v8.0: Install SIMATIC Batch v8.0 SP1 Upd21:
- SIMATIC BATCH v8.1: Install SIMATIC Batch v8.1 SP1 Upd16:
- SIMATIC BATCH v8.2: Update to SIMATIC Batch v8.2 Upd10:
- SIMATIC NET PC-Software: Update to v15 SP1
- SIMATIC PCS 7 v8.2: Install v8.2 SP1:
To obtain SIMATIC PCS 7 v8.2 SP1 contact local support.
- SIMATIC PCS 7 v9.0: Install v9.0 SP1:
To obtain SIMATIC PCS 7 v9.0 SP1 contact local support.
- SIMATIC Route Control v8.2:
To obtain SIMATIC PCS 7 v8.2 SP1 contact local support.
- SIMATIC WinCC Runtime Professional v13: Update to v13 SP2 Upd2
- SIMATIC WinCC Runtime Professional v14: Update to v14 SP1 Upd5:
- SIMATIC WinCC v7.2 and earlier: Update to WinCC 7.2 Upd15:
- SIMATIC WinCC v7.3: Update to WinCC 7.3 Upd16:
- SIMATIC WinCC v7.4: Update to v7.4 SP1 Upd4
Siemens has identified the following specific workarounds and mitigations users can apply to reduce the risk:
- Upgrade to a newer PCS 7 version.
- Ensure that SIMATIC WinCC, SIMATIC WinCC Runtime Professional and SIMATIC PCS 7 stations communicate via encrypted channels (i.e., activate feature “Encrypted Communication” in SIMATIC WinCC v7.3 or newer and SIMATIC PCS 7 v8.1 or newer). Enabling “Encrypted Communication” completely mitigates the vulnerability.
- Apply cell protection concept.
- Use VPN for protecting network communication between cells.
- Apply Defense-in-Depth.
As a general security measure, Siemens strongly recommends protecting network access to devices with appropriate mechanisms. In order to run the devices in a protected IT environment, Siemens particularly recommends that users configure the environment according to Siemens’ Operational Guidelines for Industrial Security and follow the recommendations in the product manuals.
Additional information on industrial security by Siemens can be found at:
For more information on this vulnerability and associated software updates, please see Siemens security advisory SSA-348629 on their website:
NCCIC reminds organizations to perform proper impact analysis and risk assessment prior to deploying defensive measures.
NCCIC also provides a section for control systems security recommended practices on the ICS-CERT web page. Several recommended practices are available for reading and download, including Improving Industrial Control Systems Cybersecurity with Defense-in-Depth Strategies.
Additional mitigation guidance and recommended practices are publicly available in the ICS-CERT Technical Information Paper, ICS-TIP-12-146-01B--Targeted Cyber Intrusion Detection and Mitigation Strategies, that is available for download from the ICS-CERT website.
Organizations observing any suspected malicious activity should follow their established internal procedures and report their findings to NCCIC for tracking and correlation against other incidents.
No known public exploits specifically target this vulnerability.
For any questions related to this report, please contact the NCCIC at:
Toll Free: 1-888-282-0870
The NCCIC continuously strives to improve its products and services. You can help by choosing one of the links below to provide feedback about this product.