All information products included in http://ics-cert.us-cert.gov are provided "as is" for informational purposes only. The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) does not provide any warranties of any kind regarding any information contained within. DHS does not endorse any commercial product or service, referenced in this product or otherwise. Further dissemination of this product is governed by the Traffic Light Protocol (TLP) marking in the header. For more information about TLP, see http://www.us-cert.gov/tlp/.
1. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
- CVSS v3 4.3
- ATTENTION: Exploitable on an adjacent network/low skill level to exploit
- Vendor: Johnson Controls
- Equipment: Metasys and BCPro
- Vulnerability: Information Exposure Through an Error Message
2. RISK EVALUATION
Successful exploitation of this vulnerability could allow an attacker to obtain technical information about the Metasys or BCPro server, allowing an attacker to target a system for attack.
3. TECHNICAL DETAILS
3.1 AFFECTED PRODUCTS
Johnson Controls reports that the vulnerability affects the following products:
- Metasys System, Versions 8.0 and prior, and
- BCPro (BCM), all versions prior to 3.0.2
3.2 VULNERABILITY OVERVIEW
This vulnerability results from improper error handling in HTTP-based communications with the server, which could allow an attacker to obtain technical information.
- CRITICAL INFRASTRUCTURE SECTORS: Critical Manufacturing
- COUNTRIES/AREAS DEPLOYED: Worldwide
- COMPANY HEADQUARTERS LOCATION: Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Dan Regalado of Zingbox reported this vulnerability to NCCIC.
Johnson Controls recommends the following mitigations:
- This issue was remediated in Metasys v8.1 (April, 2016). Users should upgrade to the latest product version (9.0). For Metasys information, contact your Metasys field service/sales representative.
- This issue was remediated in the BCPro Workstation in BCPro v3.0 (October, 2017) and mitigated for the BACnet Router and Gateway in BCPro v3.0.2 (June, 2018). Users should upgrade to the latest product versions. For more BCPro information, contact your BCPro sales and support representative.
Additional information for Johnson Controls:
- Product security contact information, Building Automation System hardening, and security resources are located at our product security website http://www.johnsoncontrols.com/buildings/specialty-pages/product-security
- Contact information: Johnson Controls Global Product Security at email@example.com
NCCIC recommends users take defensive measures to minimize the risk of exploitation of this vulnerability. Specifically, users should:
- Minimize network exposure for all control system devices and/or systems, and ensure that they are not accessible from the Internet.
- Locate control system networks and remote devices behind firewalls, and isolate them from the business network.
- When remote access is required, use secure methods, such as Virtual Private Networks (VPNs), recognizing that VPNs may have vulnerabilities and should be updated to the most current version available. Also recognize that VPN is only as secure as the connected devices.
NCCIC reminds organizations to perform proper impact analysis and risk assessment prior to deploying defensive measures.
NCCIC also provides a section for control systems security recommended practices on the ICS-CERT web page. Several recommended practices are available for reading and download, including Improving Industrial Control Systems Cybersecurity with Defense-in-Depth Strategies.
Additional mitigation guidance and recommended practices are publicly available on the ICS-CERT website in the Technical Information Paper, ICS-TIP-12-146-01B--Targeted Cyber Intrusion Detection and Mitigation Strategies.
Organizations observing any suspected malicious activity should follow their established internal procedures and report their findings to NCCIC for tracking and correlation against other incidents.
No known public exploits specifically target this vulnerability.
For any questions related to this report, please contact the NCCIC at:
Toll Free: 1-888-282-0870
The NCCIC continuously strives to improve its products and services. You can help by choosing one of the links below to provide feedback about this product.