All information products included in http://ics-cert.us-cert.gov are provided "as is" for informational purposes only. The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) does not provide any warranties of any kind regarding any information contained within. DHS does not endorse any commercial product or service, referenced in this product or otherwise. Further dissemination of this product is governed by the Traffic Light Protocol (TLP) marking in the header. For more information about TLP, see http://www.us-cert.gov/tlp/.
1. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
- CVSS v8.1
- ATTENTION: Exploitable remotely
- Vendor: Yokogawa
- Equipment: License Manager Service
- Vulnerability: Unrestricted Upload of Files with Dangerous Type
2. RISK EVALUATION
Successful exploitation of this vulnerability could allow an attacker to remotely upload files, allowing execution of arbitrary code.
3. TECHNICAL DETAILS
3.1 AFFECTED PRODUCTS
The following equipment and versions utilizing the Yokogawa License Manager Service are affected:
- CENTUM VP (R5.01.00 - R6.06.00),
- CENTUM VP Entry Class (R5.01.00 - R6.06.00),
- ProSafe-RS (R3.01.00 - R4.04.00),
- PRM (R4.01.00 – R4.02.00), and
- B/M9000 VP (R7.01.01 - R8.02.03).
3.2 VULNERABILITY OVERVIEW
3.2.1 UNRESTRICTED UPLOAD OF FILE WITH DANGEROUS TYPE CWE-434
Multiple Yokogawa products utilize a service intended to verify the validity of licensed products being utilized. The service running on affected products does not properly restrict the upload of potentially malicious files, which could result in execution of arbitrary code.
CVE-2019-5909 has been assigned to this vulnerability. A CVSS v3 base score of 8.1 has been calculated; the CVSS vector string is (AV:N/AC:H/PR:N/UI:N/S:U/C:H/I:H/A:H).
- CRITICAL INFRASTRUCTURE SECTORS: Critical Manufacturing, Energy, Food and Agriculture
- COUNTRIES/AREAS DEPLOYED: Worldwide
- COMPANY HEADQUARTERS LOCATION: Japan
Kaspersky Lab reported this vulnerability to Yokogawa, and JPCERT reported this vulnerability to NCCIC.
Yokogawa recommends users of affected devices and versions update to the latest available release. Details about the products, affected revisions, and suggested mitigations are available in the Yokogawa Security Advisory Report “YSAR-198-0001: Vulnerability of access control in License Manager Service of Yokogawa products.” This advisory can be found at the following location:
For questions related to this report and details regarding how to update to the newest revision, please visit the Yokogawa security website (registration required): https://contact.yokogawa.com/cs/gw?c-id=000498
NCCIC recommends users take defensive measures to minimize the risk of exploitation of this vulnerability. Specifically, users should:
- Minimize network exposure for all control system devices and/or systems, and ensure that they are not accessible from the Internet.
- Locate control system networks and remote devices behind firewalls, and isolate them from the business network.
- When remote access is required, use secure methods, such as Virtual Private Networks (VPNs), recognizing that VPNs may have vulnerabilities and should be updated to the most current version available. Also recognize that VPN is only as secure as the connected devices.
NCCIC reminds organizations to perform proper impact analysis and risk assessment prior to deploying defensive measures.
NCCIC also provides a section for control systems security recommended practices on the ICS-CERT web page. Several recommended practices are available for reading and download, including Improving Industrial Control Systems Cybersecurity with Defense-in-Depth Strategies.
Additional mitigation guidance and recommended practices are publicly available on the ICS-CERT website in the Technical Information Paper, ICS-TIP-12-146-01B--Targeted Cyber Intrusion Detection and Mitigation Strategies.
Organizations observing any suspected malicious activity should follow their established internal procedures and report their findings to NCCIC for tracking and correlation against other incidents.
For any questions related to this report, please contact the NCCIC at:
Toll Free: 1-888-282-0870
The NCCIC continuously strives to improve its products and services. You can help by choosing one of the links below to provide feedback about this product.