All information products included in http://ics-cert.us-cert.gov are provided "as is" for informational purposes only. The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) does not provide any warranties of any kind regarding any information contained within. DHS does not endorse any commercial product or service, referenced in this product or otherwise. Further dissemination of this product is governed by the Traffic Light Protocol (TLP) marking in the header. For more information about TLP, see http://www.us-cert.gov/tlp/.
1. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
- CVSS v3 8.8
- ATTENTION: Low skill level to exploit
- Vendor: 3S-Smart Software Solutions GmbH
- Equipment: CODESYS V3
- Vulnerability: Insufficiently Protected Credentials
2. RISK EVALUATION
Successful exploitation of this vulnerability could allow for an attacker with access to PLC traffic to obtain user credentials.
3. TECHNICAL DETAILS
3.1 AFFECTED PRODUCTS
All variants of the following CODESYS V3 products in all versions containing the CmpUserMgr component are affected, regardless of the CPU type or operating system:
- CODESYS Control for BeagleBone
- CODESYS Control for emPC-A/iMX6
- CODESYS Control for IOT2000
- CODESYS Control for Linux
- CODESYS Control for PFC100
- CODESYS Control for PFC200
- CODESYS Control for Raspberry Pi
- CODESYS Control RTE V3
- CODESYS Control RTE V3 (for Beckhoff CX)
- CODESYS Control Win V3 (also part of the CODESYS Development System setup)
- CODESYS V3 Simulation Runtime (part of the CODESYS Development System)
- CODESYS Control V3 Runtime System Toolkit
- CODESYS HMI V3
3.2 VULNERABILITY OVERVIEW
The application may utilize non-TLS based encryption, which results in user credentials being insufficiently protected during transport.
- CRITICAL INFRASTRUCTURE SECTORS: Critical Manufacturing
- COUNTRIES/AREAS DEPLOYED: Worldwide
- COMPANY HEADQUARTERS LOCATION: Germany
JunYoung Park reported this vulnerability to CISA.
3S-Smart Software Solutions GmbH reports this vulnerability will be corrected by Version 126.96.36.199, which is expected to be released February 2020.
As long as no update is available, 3S-Smart Software Solutions GmbH strongly recommends activating and using encryption of online communication whenever possible. The encrypted communication protects the password transmission by a TLS based encryption, independent of the weak password encryption affected here.
For more information, please see the CODESYS V3 advisory at: https://www.codesys.com/security/security-reports.html
CISA recommends users take defensive measures to minimize the risk of exploitation of this vulnerability. Specifically, users should:
- Minimize network exposure for all control system devices and/or systems, and ensure that they are not accessible from the Internet.
- Locate control system networks and remote devices behind firewalls, and isolate them from the business network.
- When remote access is required, use secure methods, such as Virtual Private Networks (VPNs), recognizing that VPNs may have vulnerabilities and should be updated to the most current version available. Also recognize that VPN is only as secure as the connected devices.
CISA reminds organizations to perform proper impact analysis and risk assessment prior to deploying defensive measures.
CISA also provides a section for control systems security recommended practices on the ICS webpage on us-cert.gov. Several recommended practices are available for reading and download, including Improving Industrial Control Systems Cybersecurity with Defense-in-Depth Strategies.
Additional mitigation guidance and recommended practices are publicly available on the ICS webpage on us-cert.gov in the Technical Information Paper, ICS-TIP-12-146-01B--Targeted Cyber Intrusion Detection and Mitigation Strategies.
Organizations observing any suspected malicious activity should follow their established internal procedures and report their findings to CISA for tracking and correlation against other incidents.
No known public exploits specifically target this vulnerability. This vulnerability is not exploitable remotely.
For any questions related to this report, please contact the NCCIC at:
Toll Free: 1-888-282-0870
The NCCIC continuously strives to improve its products and services. You can help by choosing one of the links below to provide feedback about this product.