All information products included in http://ics-cert.us-cert.gov are provided "as is" for informational purposes only. The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) does not provide any warranties of any kind regarding any information contained within. DHS does not endorse any commercial product or service, referenced in this product or otherwise. Further dissemination of this product is governed by the Traffic Light Protocol (TLP) marking in the header. For more information about TLP, see http://www.us-cert.gov/tlp/.
1. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
- CVSS v3 7.8
- ATTENTION: Low skill level to exploit
- Vendor: Tridium
- Equipment: Niagara
- Vulnerabilities: Information Exposure, Improper Authorization
2. RISK EVALUATION
Successful exploitation of these vulnerabilities could allow a local user to escalate their privileges.
3. TECHNICAL DETAILS
3.1 AFFECTED PRODUCTS
The following Tridium products are affected:
- Niagara AX 3.8u4 (JACE 3e, JACE 6e, JACE 7, JACE-8000)
- Niagara 4.4u3 (JACE 3e, JACE 6e, JACE 7, JACE-8000)
- Niagara 4.7u1 (JACE-8000, Edge 10)
Niagara Windows and Linux Supervisor installations are not impacted.
3.2 VULNERABILITY OVERVIEW
The QNX procfs service provides access to various process information and assets, which could allow a less privileged process to gain access to a target address space.
A specific utility may allow an attacker to gain read access to privileged files.
- CRITICAL INFRASTRUCTURE SECTORS: Commercial Facilities, Critical Manufacturing, Government Facilities, Information Technology
- COUNTRIES/AREAS DEPLOYED: Worldwide
- COMPANY HEADQUARTERS LOCATION: United States
Tridium has released updates that mitigate these vulnerabilities and recommends users update to the versions identified below:
- Niagara AX 3.8u4:
- OS Dist: 2.7.402.2
- NRE Config Dist: 3.8.401.1
- Niagara 4.4u3:
- OS Dist: 184.108.40.206.1 NRE Config
- Dist: 220.127.116.11.1
- Niagara 4.7u1:
- OS Dist: (JACE 8000) 18.104.22.168.1
- OS Dist (Edge 10): 22.214.171.124.1
- NRE Config Dist: 126.96.36.199.1
Updates are available by contacting the sales support channel or by contacting the Tridium support team at email@example.com
All Tridium Niagara users for all supported platforms are encouraged to update their systems with these releases to mitigate risk. For further guidance, please contact a Tridium account manager or Customer Support.
In addition to updating to the latest version, Tridium recommends users with affected products take the following steps:
- Review and validate the list of authorized users who can authenticate to Niagara.
- Allow only trained and trusted persons to have physical access to the system, including devices with connection to the system though the Ethernet port.
- If remote connections to the network are required, consider using a VPN or other means to ensure secure remote connections into the network.
For more information please refer to:
CISA reminds organizations to perform proper impact analysis and risk assessment prior to deploying defensive measures.
CISA also provides a section for control systems security recommended practices on the ICS webpage on us-cert.gov. Several recommended practices are available for reading and download, including Improving Industrial Control Systems Cybersecurity with Defense-in-Depth Strategies.
Additional mitigation guidance and recommended practices are publicly available on the ICS webpage on us-cert.gov in the Technical Information Paper, ICS-TIP-12-146-01B--Targeted Cyber Intrusion Detection and Mitigation Strategies.
Organizations observing any suspected malicious activity should follow their established internal procedures and report their findings to CISA for tracking and correlation against other incidents.
No known public exploits specifically target these vulnerabilities. These vulnerabilities are not exploitable remotely.
For any questions related to this report, please contact the NCCIC at:
Toll Free: 1-888-282-0870
The NCCIC continuously strives to improve its products and services. You can help by choosing one of the links below to provide feedback about this product.