All information products included in https://us-cert.gov/ics are provided "as is" for informational purposes only. The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) does not provide any warranties of any kind regarding any information contained within. DHS does not endorse any commercial product or service, referenced in this product or otherwise. Further dissemination of this product is governed by the Traffic Light Protocol (TLP) marking in the header. For more information about TLP, see https://www.us-cert.gov/tlp/.
1. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
- CVSS v3 9.8
- ATTENTION: Exploitable remotely/low skill level to exploit
- Vendor: Synergy Systems & Solutions (SSS)
- Equipment: HUSKY RTU
- Vulnerabilities: Improper Authentication, Improper Input Validation
2. RISK EVALUATION
Successful exploitation of these vulnerabilities could allow an attacker to read sensitive information, execute arbitrary code, or cause a denial-of-service condition.
3. TECHNICAL DETAILS
3.1 AFFECTED PRODUCTS
The following versions of HUSKY RTU, a remote terminal unit, are affected:
- HUSKY RTU 6049-E70, with firmware Versions 5.0 and prior
3.2 VULNERABILITY OVERVIEW
The affected product does not require adequate authentication, which may allow an attacker to read sensitive information or execute arbitrary code.
Specially crafted malicious packets could cause disconnection of active authentic connections or reboot of device.
- CRITICAL INFRASTRUCTURE SECTORS: Energy, Transportation Systems
- COUNTRIES/AREAS DEPLOYED: Asia
- COMPANY HEADQUARTERS LOCATION: India
The VAPT Team, C3i Center, IITK, UP, India, reported to CISA that they had coordinated these vulnerabilities directly with SSS.
SSS makes the following recommendations to mitigate risk.
- Upgrade to firmware Version 5.1.2 or higher. Consult with SSS for possible issues during upgrade, prior to implementing this recommendation.
- Implement network segmentation and firewall policies to reduce exposure of the RTU to uncontrolled and unprotected access.
- Follow recommended security practices and configure firewalls to help protect an industrial control network from attacks that originate from outside the network. Such practices include ensuring that protection, control, and automation systems are physically protected from direct access by unauthorized personnel, have no direct connections to the Internet, are separated from other networks by means of a firewall system that has a minimal number of ports exposed, and other practices to be evaluated case by case.
- Do not allow the use of protection, control, and automation systems for Internet surfing, instant messaging, or receiving e-mails.
- Block all nontrusted IP communications.
- Configure trusted IP address access (IP whitelisting) in the RTU configuration for IEC-104 protocol to restrict hosts that can access the RTU.
- Implement passwords in the RTU to restrict access to the RTU, via Husky Studio.
- If possible, set up an SSL tunnel between the RTU and control center to restrict access to the RTU.
CISA reminds organizations to perform proper impact analysis and risk assessment prior to deploying defensive measures.
CISA also provides a section for control systems security recommended practices on the ICS webpage on us-cert.gov. Several recommended practices are available for reading and download, including Improving Industrial Control Systems Cybersecurity with Defense-in-Depth Strategies.
Additional mitigation guidance and recommended practices are publicly available on the ICS webpage on us-cert.gov in the Technical Information Paper, ICS-TIP-12-146-01B--Targeted Cyber Intrusion Detection and Mitigation Strategies.
Organizations observing any suspected malicious activity should follow their established internal procedures and report their findings to CISA for tracking and correlation against other incidents.
No known public exploits specifically target these vulnerabilities.
For any questions related to this report, please contact the CISA at:
Toll Free: 1-888-282-0870
CISA continuously strives to improve its products and services. You can help by choosing one of the links below to provide feedback about this product.