All information products included in https://us-cert.gov/ics are provided "as is" for informational purposes only. The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) does not provide any warranties of any kind regarding any information contained within. DHS does not endorse any commercial product or service, referenced in this product or otherwise. Further dissemination of this product is governed by the Traffic Light Protocol (TLP) marking in the header. For more information about TLP, see https://www.us-cert.gov/tlp/.
1. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
- CVSS v3 7.5
- ATTENTION: Exploitable remotely/low skill level to exploit
- Vendor: Moxa
- Equipment: ioLogik 2542-HSPA Series Controllers and IOs, and IOxpress Configuration Utility
- Vulnerabilities: Cleartext Storage of Sensitive Information, Cleartext Transmission of Sensitive Information, Incorrectly Specified Destination in a Communication Channel
2. RISK EVALUATION
Successful exploitation of these vulnerabilities could crash the device or allow access to sensitive information.
3. TECHNICAL DETAILS
3.1 AFFECTED PRODUCTS
Moxa reports these vulnerabilities affects the following products:
- ioLogik 2500 series firmware, Version 3.0 or lower
- IOxpress configuration utility, Version 2.3.0 or lower
3.2 VULNERABILITY OVERVIEW
Sensitive information is stored in configuration files without encryption, which may allow an attacker to access an administrative account.
Sensitive information is transmitted over some web applications in clear text.
Frequent and multiple requests for short-term use may cause the web server to fail.
- CRITICAL INFRASTRUCTURE SECTORS: Critical Manufacturing, Energy, Water and Wastewater Systems
- COUNTRIES/AREAS DEPLOYED: Worldwide
- COMPANY HEADQUARTERS LOCATION: Taiwan
Ilya Karpov and Evgeniy Druzhinin from Rostelecom-Solar reported these vulnerabilities to Moxa.
Moxa has developed a solution to address these vulnerabilities: Please contact Moxa Technical Support for a security patch.
Please see Moxa’s security advisory for more information.
CISA recommends users take defensive measures to minimize the risk of exploitation of this vulnerability. Specifically, users should:
- Minimize network exposure for all control system devices and/or systems, and ensure that they are not accessible from the Internet.
- Locate control system networks and remote devices behind firewalls, and isolate them from the business network.
- When remote access is required, use secure methods, such as Virtual Private Networks (VPNs), recognizing that VPNs may have vulnerabilities and should be updated to the most current version available. Also recognize that VPN is only as secure as the connected devices.
CISA reminds organizations to perform proper impact analysis and risk assessment prior to deploying defensive measures.
CISA also provides a section for control systems security recommended practices on the ICS webpage on us-cert.gov. Several recommended practices are available for reading and download, including Improving Industrial Control Systems Cybersecurity with Defense-in-Depth Strategies.
Additional mitigation guidance and recommended practices are publicly available on the ICS webpage on us-cert.gov in the Technical Information Paper, ICS-TIP-12-146-01B--Targeted Cyber Intrusion Detection and Mitigation Strategies.
Organizations observing any suspected malicious activity should follow their established internal procedures and report their findings to CISA for tracking and correlation against other incidents.
CISA also recommends users take the following measures to protect themselves from social engineering attacks:
- Do not click web links or open unsolicited attachments in email messages.
- Refer to Recognizing and Avoiding Email Scams for more information on avoiding email scams.
Refer to Avoiding Social Engineering and Phishing Attacks for more information on social engineering attacks.
No known public exploits specifically target these vulnerabilities.
For any questions related to this report, please contact the CISA at:
Toll Free: 1-888-282-0870
CISA continuously strives to improve its products and services. You can help by choosing one of the links below to provide feedback about this product.