- Microsoft Windows
- Microsoft Internet Explorer
- Microsoft Excel, including Macintosh versions
By taking advantage of one or more vulnerabilities in Microsoft products, an attacker may be able to take control of your computer.
Microsoft has released security updates for a number of products, including Windows, Internet Explorer, and Excel. To obtain the updates, visit the Windows Update and Office Update web sites. US-CERT also recommends enabling Automatic Updates.
There are vulnerabilities in multiple Microsoft products, including Windows, Internet Explorer, and Excel. Many of these vulnerabilities could allow an attacker to take control of your computer. In some cases, an attacker could exploit a vulnerability without any action from you. In other cases, you would need to open a malicious document such as a web site, email message, image, or Excel spreadsheet.
- Windows Security Updates for October 2004 - <http://www.microsoft.com/security/bulletins/200410_windows.mspx>
- Office Security Update for October 2004 - <http://www.microsoft.com/security/bulletins/200410_office.mspx>
- Protect Your PC - <http://www.microsoft.com/protect/>
October 12, 2004: Initial release
October 13, 2004: Added Office/Excel update link
October 19, 2004: Fixed feedback link