Microsoft Windows and Internet Explorer Vulnerabilities
Microsoft Windows and various Microsoft products, including Internet Explorer
By taking advantage of vulnerabilities in various Microsoft products, an attacker may be able to stop affected programs or take control of your computer. Microsoft has released updates to address these issues.
There are problems with various Microsoft applications and features:
- Help system - The HTML Help system is used by many Microsoft Windows applications. An attacker may be able to create a malicious help file that may allow him or her to gain control of your computer.
- Image handling - Images can be saved in multiple formats, including .jpg, .gif, and .png. An attacker may be able to create a malicious image file that, if you view it, will allow him or her to stop affected programs or take control of your computer.
- Networking - Microsoft Windows uses networking to allow your computer to talk to printers and other computers. A vulnerability in Windows networking may allow an attacker to take control of your computer.
For more technical information, see US-CERT Technical Alert TA05-165A.
- US-CERT Technical Cyber Security Alert TA05-165A - <http://www.us-cert.gov/cas/techalerts/TA05-165A.html>
- Microsoft Security Bulletin Summary for June, 2005 - <http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms05-jun.mspx>
Author: Mindi McDowell. .
June 14, 2005: Initial release