- Microsoft Windows Systems
For a complete list of affected versions of the Windows operating systems and components, refer to the Microsoft Security Bulletins.
Microsoft has released a Security Bulletin Summary for April, 2005. This summary includes several bulletins that address vulnerabilities in various Windows applications and components. Exploitation of some vulnerabilities can result in the remote execution of arbitrary code by a remote attacker. Details of the vulnerabilities and their impacts are provided below.
The table below provides a mapping between Microsoft's Security Bulletins and the related US-CERT Vulnerability Notes. More information related to the vulnerabilities is available in these documents.
|Microsoft Security Bulletin||Related US-CERT Vulnerability Note(s)|
|MS05-020: Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer (890923)||VU#774338
Microsoft Internet Explorer DHTML objects contain a race condition
VU#756122 Microsoft Internet Explorer URL validation routine contains a buffer overflow
VU#222050 Microsoft Internet Explorer Content Advisor contains a buffer overflow
|MS05-021: Vulnerability in Exchange Server Could Allow Remote Code Execution (894549)||VU#275193 Microsoft Exchange Server contains unchecked buffer in SMTP extended verb handling|
|MS05-022: Vulnerability in MSN Messenger Could Lead to Remote Code Execution (896597)||VU#633446 Microsoft MSN Messenger GIF processing buffer overflow|
|MS05-019: Vulnerabilities in TCP/IP Could Allow Remote Code Execution and Denial of Service (893066)||VU#233754 Microsoft Windows does not adequately validate IP packets|
ImpactExploitation of these vulnerabilities may permit a remote attacker to execute arbitrary code on a vulnerable Windows system, or cause a denial-of-service condition.
Apply a patchMicrosoft has provided the patches for these vulnerabilities in the Security Bulletins and on Windows Update.
Appendix A. References
- Microsoft's Security Bulletin Summary for April, 2005 - http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms05-apr.mspx
- US-CERT Vulnerability Note VU#774338 - http://www.kb.cert.org/vuls/id/774338
- US-CERT Vulnerability Note VU#756122 - http://www.kb.cert.org/vuls/id/756122
- US-CERT Vulnerability Note VU#222050 - http://www.kb.cert.org/vuls/id/222050
- US-CERT Vulnerability Note VU#275193 - http://www.kb.cert.org/vuls/id/275193
- US-CERT Vulnerability Note VU#633446 - http://www.kb.cert.org/vuls/id/633446
- US-CERT Vulnerability Note VU#233754 - http://www.kb.cert.org/vuls/id/233754
Feedback can be directed to the authors: Will Dormann, Jeff Gennari, Chad Dougherty, Ken MacInnis, Jason Rafail, Art Manion, and Jeff Havrilla
April 12, 2005: Initial release