- Oracle10g Database
- Oracle9i Database
- Oracle8i Database
- Oracle Enterprise Manager 10g Grid Control
- Oracle Application Server 10g
- Oracle Collaboration Suite 10g
- Oracle9i Collaboration Suite
- Oracle E-Business Suite Release 11i
- Oracle E-Business Suite Release 11.0
- Oracle Pharmaceutical Applications
- JD Edwards EnterpriseOne, OneWorld Tools
- Oracle PeopleSoft Enterprise Portal Solutions
Oracle products and components are affected by multiple vulnerabilities. The impacts of these vulnerabilities include remote execution of arbitrary code, information disclosure, and denial of service.
Oracle has released Critical Patch Update - July 2006. This update addresses numerous vulnerabilities in different Oracle products and components.
The Critical Patch Update provides information about affected components, access and authorization required, and the impact of the vulnerabilities on data confidentiality, integrity, and availability. MetaLink customers should refer to MetaLink Note 293956.1 (login required) for more information on terms used in the Critical Patch Update.
According to Oracle, four of the vulnerabilities corrected in the Oracle Critical Patch Update - July 2006 affect Oracle Database client-only installations.We believe that the Oracle Database vulnerability identified as Oracle Vuln# DB06 in the Oracle Critical Patch Update corresponds to US-CERT Vulnerability Note VU#932124, which includes further details as well as workarounds. In most cases, Oracle does not associate Vuln# identifiers (e.g., DB01) with other available information. As more details about vulnerabilities and remediation strategies become available, we will update the individual vulnerability notes.
The impact of these vulnerabilities varies depending on the product, component, and configuration of the system. Potential consequences include the execution of arbitrary code or commands, information disclosure, and denial of service. Vulnerable components may be available to unauthenticated, remote attackers. An attacker who compromises an Oracle database may be able to gain access to sensitive information.
Apply a patch from Oracle
Apply the appropriate patches or upgrade as specified in the Oracle Critical Patch Update - July 2006. Note that this Critical Patch Update only lists newly corrected issues. Updates to patches for previously known issues are not listed.
As noted in the update, some patches are cumulative, others are not:
The Oracle Database, Oracle Application Server, Oracle Enterprise Manager Grid Control, Oracle Collaboration Suite, JD Edwards EnterpriseOne and OneWorld Tools, and PeopleSoft Enterprise Portal Applications patches in the Updates are cumulative; each successive Critical Patch Update contains the fixes from the previous Critical Patch Updates.
Oracle E-Business Suite and Applications patches are not cumulative, so E-Business Suite and Applications customers should refer to previous Critical Patch Updates to identify previous fixes they want to apply.
Patches for some platforms and components were not available when the Critical Patch Update was published on July 18, 2006. Please see MetaLink Note 372930.1 (login required) for more information.
Appendix A. References
- US-CERT Vulnerability Note VU#932124 - http://www.kb.cert.org/vuls/id/932124
- US-CERT Vulnerability Notes Related to Critical Patch Update - July 2006 - http://www.kb.cert.org/vuls/byid?searchview&query=oracle_cpu_july_2006
- Critical Patch Update - July 2006 - http://www.oracle.com/technology/deploy/security/pdf/cpujul2006.html
- Critical Patch Updates and Security Alerts - http://www.oracle.com/technology/deploy/security/alerts.htm
- Oracle Database Security Checklist (PDF) - http://www.oracle.com/technology/deploy/security/pdf/twp_security_checklist_db_database.pdf
- MetaLink Note 293956.1 (login required) - http://metalink.oracle.com/metalink/plsql/showdoc?db=Not&id=293956.1
- MetaLink Note 372930.1 (login required) - http://metalink.oracle.com/metalink/plsql/showdoc?db=Not&id=372930.1
- Details Oracle Critical Patch Update July 2006 - http://www.red-database-security.com/advisory/oracle_cpu_jul_2006.html
July 19, 2006: Initial release
July 20, 2006: Fixed mistaken reference to Oracle Critical Patch Update - April in solution section