Apple Mac Products Affected by Multiple Vulnerabilities
- Apple Mac OS X version 10.3.9 and earlier (Panther)
- Apple Mac OS X version 10.4.7 and earlier (Tiger)
- Apple Mac OS X Server version 10.3.9 and earlier
- Apple Mac OS X Server version 10.4.7 and earlier
- Apple Safari web browser
- Apple Mail
Apple has released Security Update 2006-004 to correct multiple vulnerabilities affecting Mac OS X, Mac OS X Server, Safari web browser, Mail, and other products. The most serious of these vulnerabilities may allow a remote attacker to execute arbitrary code. Impacts of other vulnerabilities include bypass of security restrictions and denial of service.
Apple Security Update 2006-004 resolves a number of vulnerabilities affecting Mac OS X, OS X Server, Safari web browser, Mail, and other products. Further details are available in the individual Vulnerability Notes.
This security update addresses vulnerabilities in a range of different components, including the handling of a number of different image file formats, ZIP archive files, and HTML web pages, among others.
The impacts of these vulnerabilities vary. For information about specific impacts, please see the Vulnerability Notes. Potential consequences include remote execution of arbitrary code or commands, bypass of security restrictions, and denial of service.
Install an update
Disable "Open 'safe' files after downloading"
For additional protection, disable the Safari web browser option to "Open 'safe' files after downloading," as specified in "Securing Your Web Browser."
Note that this workaround will not mitigate all of the vulnerabilities described in the Apple Security Update, only those which are exacerbated by the default behavior of the Safari web browser.
Appendix A. References
- Vulnerability Notes for Apple Security Update 2006-004 - http://www.kb.cert.org/vuls/byid?searchview&query=apple-2006-004
- Securing Your Web Browser - http://www.us-cert.gov/reading_room/securing_browser/#Safari
- Apple Security Update 2006-004 - http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=304063
- Mac OS X: Updating your software - http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106704
These vulnerabilities were reported in Apple Security Update 2006-004. Please see the Vulnerability Notes for individual reporter acknowledgements.
August 02, 2006: Initial release