- Mozilla SeaMonkey
- Mozilla Firefox
- Mozilla Thunderbird
- Netscape web browser
The Mozilla web browser and derived products contain several vulnerabilities, the most serious of which could allow a remote attacker to execute arbitrary code on an affected system.
Several vulnerabilities have been reported in the Mozilla web browser and derived products. Mozilla has released three security advisories to describe the vulnerabilities:
Mozilla Foundation Security Advisory 2006-65 addresses three memory corruption vulnerabilities in Firefox, Thunderbird, and SeaMonkey. More information can be found in VU#815432, VU#390480, and VU#495288.
Any software that uses the Mozilla Network Security Services (NSS) library may be affected by VU#335392.
The most severe impact of these vulnerabilities could allow a remote attacker to execute arbitrary code with the privileges of the user running the affected application. Other effects include forging an RSA signatures and denial of service.
Forging an RSA signature (VU#335392) may allow an attacker to craft a TLS/SSL or email certificate that will not be detected as invalid. This may allow that attacker to impersonate a website or email system that relies on certificates for authentication.
According to Mozilla:
Firefox 1.5.0.x will be maintained with security and stability updates until April 24, 2007. All users are strongly encouraged to upgrade to Firefox 2.
- Vulnerability Note VU#714496 - http://www.kb.cert.org/vuls/id/714496
- Vulnerability Note VU#335392 - http://www.kb.cert.org/vuls/id/335392
- Vulnerability Note VU#815432 - http://www.kb.cert.org/vuls/id/815432
- Vulnerability Note VU#390480 - http://www.kb.cert.org/vuls/id/390480
- Vulnerability Note VU#495288 - http://www.kb.cert.org/vuls/id/495288
- Mozilla Foundation Security Advisories - http://www.mozilla.org/security/announce/
- Known Vulnerabilities in Mozilla Products - http://www.mozilla.org/projects/security/known-vulnerabilities.html
- Securing Your Web Browser - http://www.us-cert.gov/reading_room/securing_browser/browser_security.html#Mozilla_Firefox
- Mozilla Hall of Fame - http://www.mozilla.org/university/HOF.html
- Site Controls - http://browser.netscape.com/ns8/help/options-site.jsp
November 08, 2006: Initial release
December 20, 2006: Corrected typo