Apple Releases Security Update to Address Multiple Vulnerabilities
- Apple Mac OS X version 10.3.x and 10.4.x
- Apple Mac OS X Server version 10.3.x and 10.4.x
- Apple Safari web browser
These vulnerabilities affect both Intel-based and PowerPC-based Apple systems.
Apple has released Security Update 2006-007 to correct multiple vulnerabilities affecting Mac OS X, Mac OS X Server, Safari web browser. Vulnerabilities in OpenSSL, gzip, and other products are also addressed. The most serious of these vulnerabilities may allow a remote attacker to execute arbitrary code. Attackers may take advantage of the less serious vulnerabilities to bypass security restrictions or cause a denial of service.
Apple Security Update 2006-007 addresses a number of vulnerabilities affecting Mac OS X, OS X Server, Safari web browser, and other products. Further details are available in the related vulnerability notes.
This security update also addresses previously known vulnerabilities in PHP, Perl, OpenSSL, and gzip, which are shipped with Mac OS X. The OpenSSL vulnerabilities are documented in multiple vulnerability notes. Information is also available through the OpenSSL vulnerabilities page. Information about the vulnerabilities in gzip is available in a series of vulnerability notes.
The impacts of these vulnerabilities vary. For specific details, see the appropriate vulnerability notes. Potential consequences include remote execution of arbitrary code or commands, bypass of security restrictions, and denial of service.
- Vulnerability Notes for Apple Security Update 2006-007 - http://www.kb.cert.org/vuls/byid?searchview&query=apple-2006-007
- Vulnerability Notes for OpenSSL Security Advisory [28th September 2006] - http://www.kb.cert.org/vuls/byid?searchview&query=openssl_secadv_20060928
- Vulnerability Note VU#845620 - http://www.kb.cert.org/vuls/id/845620
- Vulnerability Note VU#933712 - http://www.kb.cert.org/vuls/id/933712
- Vulnerability Note VU#381508 - http://www.kb.cert.org/vuls/id/381508
- Vulnerability Note VU#554780 - http://www.kb.cert.org/vuls/id/554780
- Vulnerability Note VU#596848 - http://www.kb.cert.org/vuls/id/596848
- Vulnerability Note VU#773548 - http://www.kb.cert.org/vuls/id/773548
- About the security content of Security Update 2006-007 - http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=304829
- Mac OS X: Updating your software - http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106704
- Apple Downloads - http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/
- OpenSSL: OpenSSL vulnerabilities - http://www.openssl.org/news/vulnerabilities.html
- Securing Your Web Browser - http://www.us-cert.gov/reading_room/securing_browser/#Safari
November 29, 2006: Initial release