- Microsoft Windows
- Microsoft Visual Studio
- Microsoft Outlook Express
- Microsoft Media Player
- Microsoft Internet Explorer
Microsoft has released updates that address critical vulnerabilities in Microsoft Windows, Visual Studio, Microsoft Outlook Express, Microsoft Media Player, and Microsoft Internet Explorer. Exploitation of these vulnerabilities could allow a remote, unauthenticated attacker to execute arbitrary code or cause a denial of service on a vulnerable system.
Microsoft has released updates to address vulnerabilities in Microsoft Windows, Visual Studio, Microsoft Outlook Express, Microsoft Media Player, and Microsoft Internet Explorer as part of the Microsoft Security Bulletin Summary for December 2006. The most severe vulnerabilities could allow a remote, unauthenticated attacker to execute arbitrary code or cause a denial of service on a vulnerable system.
Updates for Office for Mac were accidentally released by Microsoft and have since been retracted. More information can be found in the following Microsoft Security Response Center Blog entry.
Further information about the vulnerabilities addressed by these updates is available in the Vulnerability Notes Database.
A remote, unauthenticated attacker could execute arbitrary code on a vulnerable system. An attacker may also be able to cause a denial of service.
Apply updates from MicrosoftMicrosoft has provided updates for these vulnerabilities in the December 2006 Security Bulletins. The Security Bulletins describe any known issues related to the updates. Note any known issues described in the Bulletins and test for any potentially adverse affects in your environment. System administrators may wish to consider using an automated patch distribution system such as Windows Server Update Services (
- US-CERT Vulnerability Notes for Microsoft December 2006 updates - http://www.kb.cert.org/vuls/byid?searchview&query=ms06-dec
- Microsoft Security Bulletin Summary for December 2006 - http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms06-dec.mspx
- Microsoft Update - https://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/
- Windows Server Update Services - http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserversystem/updateservices/default.mspx
- Information from Microsoft regarding accidental release of security updates for Office products for Mac - http://blogs.technet.com/msrc/archive/2006/12/13/information-on-accidental-posting-of-pre-release-security-updates-for-office-for-mac.aspx
December 12, 2006: Initial release
December 15, 2006: Replaced information about Mac updates with a reference to a Microsoft explanation about the error.