Sun Updates for Multiple Vulnerabilities in Java
- JDK and JRE 5.0 Update 9 and earlier
- SDK and JRE 1.4.2_12 and earlier
- SDK and JRE 1.3.1_18 and earlier
The Sun Java Runtime Environment contains multiple vulnerabilities that can allow a remote, unauthenticated attacker to execute arbitrary code on a vulnerable system.
The Sun Java Runtime Environment (JRE) allows users to run Java applications in a browser or as standalone programs. Sun has released updates to the Java Runtime Environment software to address multiple vulnerabilities. Further details about these vulnerabilities are available in the Vulnerability Notes Database.
Note that exploit code is publicly available for at least one of these vulnerabilities.
By convincing a user to run a specially crafted Java application, a remote, unauthenticated attacker can execute arbitrary code on a vulnerable system. A common attack vector would be a web page that contains a Java applet.
Apply an update from Sun
These issues are addressed in the following versions of the Sun Java Runtime environment:
- JDK and JRE 5.0 Update 10 or later
- SDK and JRE 1.4.2_13 or later
- SDK and JRE 1.3.1_19 or later
If you install the latest version of Java, older versions of Java may remain installed on your computer. If these versions of Java are not needed, you may wish to remove them. For instructions on how to remove older versions of Java, refer to the following instructions from Sun.
Disable Java in your web browser, as specified in the Securing Your Web Browser document. While this does not fix the underlying vulnerabilities, it does block the most common attack vector.
- US-CERT Vulnerability Note VU#388289 - http://www.kb.cert.org/vuls/id/388289
- US-CERT Vulnerability Note VU#102289 - http://www.kb.cert.org/vuls/id/102289
- US-CERT Vulnerability Note VU#149457 - http://www.kb.cert.org/vuls/id/149457
- US-CERT Vulnerability Note VU#939609 - http://www.kb.cert.org/vuls/id/939609
- Securing Your Web Browser - http://www.us-cert.gov/reading_room/securing_browser/
- CVE-2007-0243 - http://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CVE-2007-0243
- CVE-2006-6745 - http://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CVE-2006-6745
- CVE-2006-6731 - http://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CVE-2006-6731
- Java SE Technologies at a Glance - http://java.sun.com/javase/technologies/
- Java SE Security - http://java.sun.com/javase/technologies/security/index.jsp
- Can I remove older versions of the JRE after installing a newer version? - http://www.java.com/en/download/faq/5000070400.xml
January 22, 2007: Initial release