Apple Releases Security Updates for QuickTime
- Apple Mac OS X
- Microsoft Windows
Apple QuickTime contains multiple vulnerabilities. Exploitation of these vulnerabilities could allow a remote attacker to execute arbitrary code or cause a denial-of-service condition.
Apple QuickTime 7.1.5 resolves multiple vulnerabilities in the way different types of image and media files are handled. An attacker could exploit these vulnerabilities by convincing a user to access a specially crafted image or media file with a vulnerable version of QuickTime. Since QuickTime configures most web browsers to handle QuickTime media files, an attacker could exploit these vulnerabilities using a web page.
Note that QuickTime ships with Apple iTunes.
For more information, please refer to the Vulnerability Notes Database.
These vulnerabilities could allow a remote, unauthenticated attacker to execute arbitrary code or commands and cause a denial-of-service condition. For further information, please see the Vulnerability Notes Database.
On Microsoft Windows the QuickTime built-in auto-update mechanism may not detect this release. Instead, Windows users should check for updates using Apple Software Update or install the update manually.
Disable QuickTime in your web browser
An attacker may be able to exploit this vulnerability by persuading a user to access a specially crafted file with a web browser. Disabling QuickTime in your web browser will defend against this attack vector. For more information, refer to the Securing Your Web Browser document.
- Vulnerability Notes for QuickTime 7.1.5 - http://www.kb.cert.org/vuls/byid?searchview&query=QuickTime_715
- About the security content of the QuickTime 7.1.5 Update - http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=305149
- How to tell if Software Update for Windows is working correctly when no updates are available - http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=304263
- Apple QuickTime 7.1.5 for Windows - http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/quicktime715forwindows.html
- Apple QuickTime 7.1.5 for Mac - http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/quicktime715formac.html
- Standalone Apple QuickTime Player - http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/standalone.html
- Mac OS X: Updating your software - http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106704
- Securing Your Web Browser - http://www.us-cert.gov/reading_room/securing_browser/
March 06, 2007: Initial release