Apple Updates for Multiple Vulnerabilities
- Apple Mac OS X version 10.3.x and 10.4.x
- Apple Mac OS X Server version 10.3.x and 10.4.x
Apple has released Security Update 2007-003 to correct multiple vulnerabilities affecting Apple Mac OS X and Mac OS X Server. The most serious of these vulnerabilities may allow a remote attacker to execute arbitrary code. Attackers may take advantage of the less serious vulnerabilities to bypass security restrictions or cause a denial of service.
Many of the fixes included in this update address vulnerabilities in products from other vendors that ship with Apple OS X or OS X Server. These products include:
- Adobe Flash Player
- GNU Tar
- MySQL Server
Apple Security Update 2007-003 addresses vulnerabilities on both 10.3.9 and 10.4.x. According to Apple:
Security Update 2007-003 will install on Mac OS X v10.3.9 and Mac OS X Server v10.3.9 systems.
Mac OS X v10.4.9 contains the security fixes present in Security Update 2007-003 and will install on Mac OS X v10.4 or later, as well as Mac OS X Server v10.4 or later systems.
The impacts of these vulnerabilities vary. Potential consequences include remote execution of arbitrary code or commands, bypass of security restrictions, and denial of service.
Install Updates from Apple
Install Apple Security Update 2007-003. OS X 10.4 users should upgrade to 10.4.9 to obtain the security fixes in Apple Security Update 2007-003. This and other updates are available via Apple Update or via Apple Downloads.
- Vulnerability notes for Apple Security Update 2007-003 - http://www.kb.cert.org/vuls/byid?searchview&query=apple_2007-003
- About the security content of Mac OS X 10.4.9 and Security Update 2007-003 - http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=305214
- Mac OS X: Updating your software - http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106704
- Apple downloads - http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/
- Adobe - Security bulletins and advisories - http://www.adobe.com/support/security/
- Tar - GNU Project - Free Software Foundation (FSF) - http://www.gnu.org/software/tar/
- MySQL AB :: MySQL 3.23, 4.0, 4.1 Reference Manual :: B.1 Changes in release 4.1.x (Production) - http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/4.1/en/news-4-1-x.html
- OpenSSH release 4.5 - http://www.openssh.org/txt/release-4.5
- Current version of Sudo - http://www.sudo.ws/sudo/current.html
March 13, 2007: Initial release