Microsoft Updates for Multiple Vulnerabilities
- Microsoft Windows
- Microsoft Internet Explorer
- Microsoft Windows Media Player
- Microsoft Office
- Microsoft Office for Mac
- Microsoft XML Core Services
- Microsoft Visual Basic
- Microsoft Virtual PC
- Microsoft Virtual Server
Microsoft has released updates that address critical vulnerabilities in Microsoft Windows, Internet Explorer, Windows Media Player, Office, Office for Mac, XML Core Services, Visual Basic, Virtual PC, and Virtual Server. Exploitation of these vulnerabilities could allow a remote, unauthenticated attacker to execute arbitrary code or cause a denial of service on a vulnerable system.
Microsoft has released updates to address vulnerabilities that affect Microsoft Windows, Internet Explorer, Windows Media Player, Office, Office for Mac, XML Core Services, Visual Basic,Virtual PC, and Virtual Server as part of the Microsoft Security Bulletin Summary for August 2007. The most severe vulnerabilities could allow a remote, unauthenticated attacker to execute arbitrary code or cause a denial of service on a vulnerable system.
Further information about the vulnerabilities addressed by these updates is available in the Vulnerability Notes Database
A remote, unauthenticated attacker could execute arbitrary code on a vulnerable system. An attacker may also be able to cause a denial of service.
Apply updates from Microsoft
Microsoft has provided updates for these vulnerabilities in the August 2007 Security Bulletins. The Security Bulletins describe any known issues related to the updates. Administrators are encouraged to note any known issues that are described in the Bulletins and test for any potentially adverse effects.
Updates for Microsoft Windows and Microsoft Office XP and later are available on the Microsoft Update site. Microsoft Office 2000 updates are available on the Microsoft Office Update site. Apple Mac OS X users should obtain updates from the Mactopia web site.
System administrators may wish to consider using an automated patch distribution system such as Windows Server Update Services (WSUS).
- US-CERT Vulnerability Notes for Microsoft August 2007 updates - http://www.kb.cert.org/vuls/byid?searchview&query=ms07-aug
- Securing Your Web Browser - http://www.us-cert.gov/reading_room/securing_browser/
- Microsoft Security Bulletin Summary for August 2007 - http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms07-aug.mspx
- Microsoft Update - https://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/
- Microsoft Office Update - http://officeupdate.microsoft.com/
- Windows Server Update Services - http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserversystem/updateservices/default.mspx
- Mactopia - http://www.microsoft.com/mac/
August 14, 2007: Initial release