- Oracle Database 10g
- Oracle 9i Database
- Oracle Enterprise Manager 10g Database Control
- Oracle Application Server 10g
- Oracle Collaboration Suite 10g
- Oracle PeopleSoft Enterprise
- Oracle E-Business Suite
- Oracle PeopleSoft Enterprise Human Capital Management
For more information regarding affected product versions, please see the Oracle Critical Patch Update - October 2007.
Oracle products and components are affected by multiple vulnerabilities. The impacts of these vulnerabilities include remote execution of arbitrary code, information disclosure, and denial of service.
Oracle has released Critical Patch Update - October 2007. This update addresses more than forty vulnerabilities in different Oracle products and components.
The Critical Patch Update provides information about affected components, access and authorization required, and the impact from the vulnerabilities on data confidentiality, integrity, and availability. MetaLink customers should refer to MetaLink Note 394487.1 (login required) for more information on terms used in the Critical Patch Update.
According to Oracle, none of the vulnerabilities corrected in the Oracle Critical Patch Update affect Oracle Database Client-only installations.
In most cases, Oracle does not associate Vuln# identifiers (e.g., DB01) with other available information. If significant additional details about vulnerabilities and remediation techniques become available, we will update the Vulnerability Notes Database.
The impact of these vulnerabilities varies depending on the product, component, and configuration of the system. Potential consequences include the execution of arbitrary code or commands, information disclosure, and denial of service. Vulnerable components may be available to unauthenticated, remote attackers. An attacker who compromises an Oracle database may be able to gain access to sensitive information.
Apply a patch
Apply the appropriate patches or upgrade as specified in the Oracle Critical Patch Update - October 2007. Note that this Critical Patch Update only lists newly corrected issues. Updates to patches for previously known issues are not listed.
As noted in the update, some patches are cumulative, others are not:
The Oracle Database, Oracle Application Server, Oracle Enterprise Manager Grid Control, Oracle Collaboration Suite, JD Edwards EnterpriseOne and OneWorld Tools, and PeopleSoft Enterprise Portal Applications patches in the Updates are cumulative; each successive Critical Patch Update contains the fixes from the previous Critical Patch Updates.
Oracle E-Business Suite and Applications patches are not cumulative, so E-Business Suite and Applications customers should refer to previous Critical Patch Updates to identify previous fixes they wish to apply.
Patches for some platforms and components were not available when the Critical Patch Update was published on October 17, 2007. Please see MetaLink Note 360465.1 (login required) for more information.
Known issues with Oracle patches are documented in the pre-installation notes and patch readme files. Please consult these documents specific to your system before applying patches.
Appendix A. Vendor Information
Appendix B. References
- Critical Patch Update - October 2007 - http://www.oracle.com/technology/deploy/security/critical-patch-updates/cpuoct2007.html>
- Critical Patch Updates and Security Alerts - http://www.oracle.com/technology/deploy/security/alerts.htm>
- Map of Public Vulnerability to Advisory/Alert - http://www.oracle.com/technology/deploy/security/pdf/public_vuln_to_advisory_mapping.html>
- Oracle Database Security Checklist (PDF) - http://www.oracle.com/technology/deploy/security/pdf/twp_security_checklist_db_database.pdf>
- MetaLink Note 360465.1 (login required) -
- Details Oracle Critical Patch Update October 2007 - http://www.red-database-security.com/advisory/oracle_cpu_oct_2007.html>
Feedback can be directed to US-CERT Technical Staff.
October 17, 2007: Initial release